A friend brought this dish with her to a party a week ago and I liked it so much that I asked for the recipe. I changed it just slightly and made it with non-sugar sweeteners. This makes an amazingly good Thanksgiving or Christmas appetizer or party tray.
Cranberry Salsa with Cream Cheese
- 1 bag cranberries
- 1/2 c. sugar equivalent of Splenda/agave nectar/Stevia or other non-sugar sweetener. (start with less and add to taste)
- 1 green onion
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 of a bunch of cilantro
- 1 med. jalapeño – seeds and veins removed if desired for less heat
- 2 tbs lime or lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 – 2 blocks of cream cheese at room temperature
Remove soft and rotten cranberries from batch and wash. Chop cranberries, onion, cilantro and jalapeño to medium fine in food processor. Mix in sweetener, cumin salt and citrus juice. Cover and let macerate in fridge for 2 – 4 hours to let flavor build and the cranberries to soften. It will sweeten as it stands in the fridge so add less sweetener at the first and check before serving adding up to 3/4 c. sugar (total) equivalent.
Serve at room temperature poured over the top of the blocks of cream cheese with whole grain crackers.